Now available in paperback for the first time, this popular Hippocrene cookbook brings the flavors of Haiti to readers. With African, French, Arabic and Amerindian influences, the food and culture of Haiti are fascinating subjects to explore. From the days of slavery to present times, Haitian cuisine has relied upon staples like root vegetables, pork, fish and flavor enhancers like pikliz (picklese, or hot pepper vinegar) and zepis (ground spices). This cookbook offers over 100 traditional Haitian recipes, including holiday foods and the author’s favorite drinks and desserts.
Interspersed throughout is information on Haiti’s history, holidays and celebrations, food staples and cooking methods to guide the home chef on a culinary adventure to this beautiful island. Recipe titles are provided in English, Haitian Creole and French.
- Salted Codfish Croquettes (Boulet Pomdete ak Mori)
- Picklese (Pikliz)
- Breadfruit with Okra (Tonmtonm ak Kalalou)
- Rice with Pigeon Peas (Diri ak Pwa Kongo)
- Polenta with Smoked Herring (Mayi Moulen ak Aranso)
- Pumpkin Soup (Soup Joumou)
- Guinea Fowl (Pentad)
- Creole Red Snapper (Pwason ak Sos)
Available on Amazon